Today the world is so much different than it was in the past. Every historical age has its peculiarities, with important figures and events that mark the passage of time.
Photographers were always there to document everything that happened year after year, leaving us a legacy of images that now help us understand how life was like back in the days.
Obviously not all the pictures are the same, some are more beautiful than others, and some simply mean much more than others. In the following gallery you will see 38 photos from the past that have literally marked an era, symbolizing the significant events that happened in the age they were shot.
Some of these pictures literally left us speechless, and gave us an idea of how different the world was decades ago.
If you like this post, share it with your friends on Facebook!
1. The Statue of Liberty’s face during whilst being unpacked (1885)
2. A woman walking with her baby in a gas-resistant baby carriage (1938)
3. One of the first animal therapies for children (1956)
4. A man testing one of the first bulletproof vests (1923)
5. A soldier sharing a banana with a goat during WWII (1944)
6. Young Charlie Chaplin at age 27 (1916)
7. A girl and her doll in the ruins of her home in London, after a bombing (1940)
8. The Hindenburg crash (1937)
9. A young Elvis Presley in the army (1958)
10. In the 1930s, these cages were used to allow children to get enough fresh air and sunlight (1937)
11. Annette Kellerman promoting woman’s right to wear a one-piece swimsuit. After this, he was arrested for indecency. (1907)
12. Annie Edison Taylor, the first woman to survive going over Niagara Falls in a barrel (1901)
13. 106 year-old armenian woman defending her house with an automatic weapon (1990)
14. The first and original Ronald McDonald (1963)
15. Disneyland employees in a cafeteria (1961)
16. Kids during celebrating Christmas during Great Depression
17. An aggressive advertisement for an anti-malaria drug in Papua New Guinea during WWII (1943)
18. The construction of the Berlin Wall (1961)
19. A soldier in Vietnam (1965)
20. Hotel owner James E. Brock pouring muriatic into a whites-only swimming pool to drive protesters out (1964)
21. A sun tan machine (1949)
22. Guy reading in a ruined book store in London after an air raid (1940)
23. Walter Yeo, before and after one of the first skin transplants (1917)
24. Beach patrols measuring women’s swimsuits. In the 1920s women could be fined if found wearing a bathing suit shorter than a certain size (1920)
25. Martin Luther King Jr. and his son removing a burned cross from his front yard(1960)
26. A lifeguard in the 1920s
27. A circus hippo pulling a cart (1924)
28. Mother and son look at the mushroom cloud after a nuclear test in Las Vegas (1953)
29. This mother, who put her children for sale, shamefully hides her face (1948)
30. Nazi officers and cadets’s Christmas dinner (1941)
31. Space survivor chimp poses after his successful mission (1961)
32. The last group of prisoners to leave Alcatraz (1963)
33. Melted remnants after a fire at Madam Tussauds Museum in London (1930)
34. Illegal alcohol being poured on the streets during Prohibition in Detroit (1929)
35. Princeton students after a Freshman vs Sophomore snowball fight (1893)
36. A girl with artificial legs (1890)
37. The day Sweden began driving on the right side of the road (1967)
38. Happiness. An Austrian kid receives a new pair of shoes during WWII (1944)
Did you like this post? Share it with your friends!